Does Remarketing Work? and other display advertising thoughts.
So to answer your question in the first sentence. Yes and results vary , ‘It depends’ (which is a great term to keep in your toolbag when you have opposing views when you re in a tight spot). So I googled ‘does remarketing work?’ and there was no hard evidence to say either way.
Here’s how I look at it. It depends on what type of brand you have. Is it B2B? In short, be careful you are not confusing your audience base and wasting money. Is it a B2C mass branded product or ecommerce website? Then give it a go if it suits your brand’s personality.
Remarketing and DDA (Digital Display Advertising) is a tool that has an incredibly low CTR. CTR’s are typical 0.1%-0.2%. So thats 1 in every 1,000 people. But if you have numbers (audience) in the 000,000’s then you brand deserves to be supported and exposed to relevant publisher and popular websites, like you national daily newspaper website.
The rule of thumb when budgeting for a emarketing campaign. Spend 80% on SEO content, PPC social ads etc. This is where you get ROI (return on investment). Then spend the remaining 20% on DDA (Digital Display Advertising) and remarketing exercise. Display advertising can also be a good measure of the effectiveness of an overall campaign.
Remarketing is different. It depends on your brand. Personally, I dont mind Amazon remarketing to me. I know how it works and I commend them for getting it right. I also forget about the ads pretty quick so it doesn’t impact my perception of them or frequency of purchasing on their platform. If a lesser brand remarkets me for 30 days with the same ad then they are pestering me and lost me for ever or at least for a while until I forget.
Remarketing is still fairly new in terms of digital marketing. Practice trial and error but make sure you do it right. Dont remarket to people for more than 7 days. Talk to your peers, employees, focus groups, brainstorm…whatever. Know your audience, targeting, attractive popular websites, times/days, bidding etc.
In conclusion, Remarketing doesn’t influence me personally but it is another branding tool. If I want to buy something I am responsible enough to need/want it and go back to the website to purchase it. Does remarketing serve as a reminder or influencer tool? Yes, all branding has an effect on the end user but from a management perspective the metrics dont add up or give you a definitive ROI. Much like newspaper ads which are very cheap right now.
Keep the faith.